If you want to make a rag rug like the one I showed you last week, your first step is to cut your fabric (I’m using old T-shirts) into inch-wide strips. My favorite way to do it, and the way I’ve been using for my rag rug, is to cut each T-shirt into a long continuous strip (using the method I’m about to show you), wind it into a ball, and then cut pieces of the length I want as I go. It gives me a bit more flexibility with length, so my colors look more random.
Here’s how to do it:
- Take your T-shirt and spread it out flat on a table or the floor, so that there aren’t any big creases or bumps.
- Using fabric scissors, cut off the bottom hem. Be careful – the back hem might be higher than the front. Make sure you get both!
- Make straight cuts about an inch apart all the way up the T-shirt. Cut through both layers of fabric, but DON’T go all the way to the other side of the shirt – stop an inch or two from the side. Your T-shirt should stay in one piece, like if you were making fringe, not be cut into lots of separate loops.
- When you get to the bottom of the sleeves, make a straight cut across the whole shirt to get the body alone.
- Open up the shirt so that it looks a bit like a ribcage. (This step was hard to photograph…)
- Starting at the bottom, right in the middle of the solid section, make a diagonal cut to free up one end of the strip.
- Make parallel diagonal cuts to connect the slits on each side of the solid section. Keep going until you reach the end!When you reach the top and make your last cut, you should have one long strip of fabric. Wind it into a ball and get started on the next one!