Me And My Dremel

So happy tooooooogether….

IMG_20180508_165615977.jpg

For some reason, I’ve wanted a Dremel since I was about 12. No clue why, but apparently it just sounded cool to me. Some recent projects finally gave me a good excuse to get one, and I’m in love. (This isn’t a sponsored post, I swear.)

I went with the Dremel 200 because I wanted a corded drill (and because it was one of the cheaper options). Note – the drill bits and the collets that let you actually attach the bits are sold separately. I had to make several trips to the store to get it up and going.

I’ve been using it a ton this week to work on various projects for our new shop, The Discerning Gnome. I’ve been making polyhedral dice bracelets like the ones I showed you last week:

IMG_20180505_144617143.jpg

And most recently, I’ve been drilling and embroidering to make these super cool string art notebooks. I’m crazy about these! (A tutorial for these might be coming soon… Stay tuned!)

IMG_20180508_185051512.jpg

 

Choosing Colors

Keeping with my recent beading binge, I’ve been spending some time today matching mini-dice colors with beads in my collection. (Makes sense in context, I promise…)

IMG_20180503_001427279.jpg

The miniature polyhedral dice I bought for this project came in fairly neon colors – bright yellow, orange, green, blue, red, and pink. Since my style is a bit more muted – I rarely rock the neon – I’ve been really focusing on my other bead choices in order to make the overall color palate a bit richer.

IMG_20180503_000348795.jpg

My main strategy for this is to choose an overall color theme that the dice color supports, but that isn’t focused around the bright color. For example, Continue reading Choosing Colors

Beading & Bracelets

IMG_20180424_105230447.jpg

I’ve been in a bit of a beading phase recently, and so I made this charm bracelet. I love the overloaded bracelets like this, and I’ve made a couple as gifts before, but never one for me!

Eagle-eyed readers might notice a certain color theme, and some writing on the charms tucked in there, which leads me to a bit of an announcement. I’m engaged! I’m going to be marrying the love of my life this summer, and I’m so excited – plan on seeing quite a few wedding projects on the blog in months to come.

IMG_20180424_105454443.jpg

I squeezed as many charms as I could onto this bracelet – click “read more” for close ups.

Continue reading Beading & Bracelets

The Slow Way (But The Right Way)

Well, we have a complete restart on the dresses from this post. One day, I think, I might actually learn that taking shortcuts and winging things never, ever, ever works out as well as I would like. The dresses were working, but looked a bit homemade and unprofessional… *sigh*. So, back to the beginning, doing it right this time. It’s slooooooow going, but that’s ok.

IMG_20180418_210414817.jpg

The problem that I ran into was failing to account for the pleats in this chiffon. (My plan would have worked perfectly for regular chiffon, I swear…) I tried to bulldoze through it, but nope. So, new plan – now I’m using a wrap dress pattern designed for stretch fabrics, and lining the chiffon with a stretchy cream cotton jersey, instead of making a separate underdress. I’m cutting each dress piece individually (with a layer of jersey and a layer of chiffon), using a rotary cutter and pattern weights instead of scissors and pins, and hand-basting all the edges before picking anything up.

It takes quite a lot of time, so I’ve only done one piece – eeek! – but I have it up on the new dress form, and it’s already looking much, much better.IMG_20180419_072838042.jpg

Now off to tackle the other half of this front. I’ll keep you updated!

Dress Form Set Up

My slightly-creepy body double came in the mail earlier this week:

IMG_20180417_200227714_LL.jpgI’ve gotten pretty well used to her now, but I jumped the first few times I looked up!

I’ve been wanting an adjustable dress form for a while now – my homemade paper tape version is a bit too lopsided and lumpy for accurate fitting – and I finally settled on the Dritz Sew You.

IMG_20180417_181604969.jpg

After a prolonged battle with getting the torso onto the stand (pro tip – extend the stand up first), I was able to    Continue reading Dress Form Set Up

This Week’s Project: Patterns and Dresses

IMG_20180406_145628730.jpg

This week I’ve been doing a lot of measuring and pinning and cutting to get these dresses started. Sewing will happen soon, but since this part is my least favorite, I figured I’d better get all the pieces ready to go – then I can sit down at my serger and sewing machine and happily put everything together!

Although I don’t Continue reading This Week’s Project: Patterns and Dresses

Rag Rug Part 1: Cutting your T-shirts

If you want to make a rag rug like the one I showed you last week, your first step is to cut your fabric (I’m using old T-shirts) into inch-wide strips. My favorite way to do it, and the way I’ve been using for my rag rug, is to cut each T-shirt into a long continuous strip (using the method I’m about to show you), wind it into a ball, and then cut pieces of the length I want as I go. It gives me a bit more flexibility with length, so my colors look more random.IMG_20180406_114958794.jpg

Here’s how to do it:

Continue reading Rag Rug Part 1: Cutting your T-shirts