Well, we have a complete restart on the dresses from this post. One day, I think, I might actually learn that taking shortcuts and winging things never, ever, ever works out as well as I would like. The dresses were working, but looked a bit homemade and unprofessional… *sigh*. So, back to the beginning, doing it right this time. It’s slooooooow going, but that’s ok.
The problem that I ran into was failing to account for the pleats in this chiffon. (My plan would have worked perfectly for regular chiffon, I swear…) I tried to bulldoze through it, but nope. So, new plan – now I’m using a wrap dress pattern designed for stretch fabrics, and lining the chiffon with a stretchy cream cotton jersey, instead of making a separate underdress. I’m cutting each dress piece individually (with a layer of jersey and a layer of chiffon), using a rotary cutter and pattern weights instead of scissors and pins, and hand-basting all the edges before picking anything up.
It takes quite a lot of time, so I’ve only done one piece – eeek! – but I have it up on the new dress form, and it’s already looking much, much better.
Now off to tackle the other half of this front. I’ll keep you updated!